Charleston, South Carolina
5.4K views
2.4

I have always liked Lazyboy recliners having owned three over the years. A couple of years ago I purchased a leather recliner and what a mistake that turned out to be.

The fabric started peeling and cracking. I contacted Lazyboy and they said I should file a claim with the company providing the fabric protection warranty. The company denied the claim saying they covered only punctures and stains and this would be classified as a defect due to quality and craftsmanship of the leather. Lazboy offered to repair the section of fabric but I would be responsible for the cost of the fabric and labor which would be more than $200.

I thought the offer was outrageous considering the recliner cost around $700 and the damaged area in question was only small patch of material. No other offer was provided. So now about a year after I first complained the recliner looks horrible. The leather continues to crack and peel to the point there is not much of the recliner that has not been affected.

So let this be a warning.

Stay away from any Lazyboy leather furniture.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lazboy Recliner.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Lazboy Cons: Poor materials and poor workmanship.

Comments

Katerin

Same problem here. Leather is breaking down.

Purchased the extended warranty but they don’t cover cracking and breakdown. $1700.00 for a chair not to mention my couch.

Had a repair man not connected to them repair it. But he told me the middle of the headrest is breaking down too!!

@Katerin

You should be able to cancel your warranty and receive a pro-rated refund for the amount less an administrative fee. In reading the fine print it says they want the ORIGINAL warranty, which I don't think we ever received.

So good luck, I guess. I'm going to try to cancel mine as there's still 2 years left.

I too had a similar experience. Sides of seats cracking, out of sight along the sides.

Filed claim, they stated it was accumulative damage and denied it.

I maintained both chairs with the maintenance kit. Will never buy from them again.

@Anonymous

I also have a Lazy Boy green leather recliner that has started peeling. Granted, the chair is 8 years old, but I have had several leather sofas, chairs, & love seats purchased from Thomasville furniture over several decades, & have never had this happen.

My last leather furniture lasted over 15 years. And they were still in good condition.

I just wanted to change my decor. Very disappointed in Lazy Boy & will NEVER purchase anything from them again!

I have recliner and a full sized couch that this has happened to. I can’t live with the little pieces of leather getting stuck to you and transplanted all over the house.

I’m heading over to my local store and filing a complaint for some sort of reimbursement or even credit for something new. Bobs discount Furniture have store credits for all of their bonded leather sold and said it was a defect in the materials from the factory.

They’re being covered by insurance claims. LAZY BOY IS TOO

We had the same issue with a recliner like the one in the picture. Very disappointing since we paid over $600 for the chair.

My neighbor too had the same issue.

Contacted them sent pictures to no avail. Will definitely reconsider before buying anything from them again.

We had a beautiful leather reclining couch, not a Lazyboy, for many years, it was too large for our new apartment.....so we bought a Lazyboy duel power recliner loveseat with console in center. Brown leather.

Purchased the Guardsman warranty. Now just over 3 years old, our leather loveseat is peeling, YES PEELING on the arms and backs (where your back rests). After much upset on my part with the furniture store, when I found out the warranty did not cover peeling, they agreed to replace both arms and backs. Before the new replacement parts arrived, the seats began to peel.

Now my husband and I live by ourselves, no pets or grandchildren so do not abuse this furniture. No sharp objects on our clothes, etc. This should not happen!! Since this all started to happen we found out, via computer, that bonded leather peels.

We had never heard of that, were never told the couch was made with bonded leather and our sales receipt says leather. No mention of bonded leather!!

The Customer Service Department says the replacement seats will cost us over $400 plus shipping and installation. We paid close to $2,000 for the couch and this is all unexceptable, so will be contacting an attorney.

Leather does not peel, this is cloth painted with something that mimics leather in looks only, great scam Lay Z Boy, you sure know how to fxxk the public !!!

My leather couches purchased from lazy boy are also peeling after only 1 year. We bought a warranty and thought it would be covered.

But no such luck! Not covered.

@Katie B9

Have experienced the same problem and we bought the recliner loveseat and couch. Extremely disappointed because we spent the extra money because of the lazboy name horrible quality

I have spent over $1000 on a recliner that 18 months later is peeling. I am beyond pissed off with this poor quality!

This is exactly what happened to us. 950 bucks and a year later it’s cracked and peeled. Just a waste of money!

Same thing happened with major wearing on the chair. Only 3 years old.

I assume the quality of the leather is the issue.

For $1000, I expect more!! Will never buy Lazyboy agin!

@Toni Eck

Same here I will never buy lazyboy again and will not recommend them to anyone.

this same thing has occurred with our lazy boy recliner, seams on arm are split open, plus where the head rests at the back is cracked. The recliner and swivel parts of the chair were worn out before a year was overwith.

Only my husband uses the chair, as his chair where he watches tv.

What a disappointment with LazyBoy. Don't plan to buy another, will go to something else, a rip-off, supposed to be leather, when it is actually bonded cheap substitute.

Mine is doing the same thing on the head rest.... No help from lazy boy...

should have bought a cheaper recliner.

Then i could throw it out and start over. Will never buy lazy boy again

I also have a1200 dollar reclining sofa same peeling as in all the photos. When I contacted the store all they could say was sorry.

Turns out it is sprayed on vinyl not leather. Seems we have a class action lawsuits.

Anyone interested in pursuing contact me at. Concop85@aol.com

@Richard

Hi Richard,We have the same problem with the peeling of our theater seats in our rv. unit is only 2 years old and used very infrequent.

I would like to participate in the class action lawsuit as it appears Lazyboy won't do anything about my problem.

Pls send details. John