Lazboy - La-Z-Boy Leather Recliners Are Defective And Don't Hold Their Color

622 of 666 Lazboy reviews

The BBB (Better Business Bureau) has a rating of F for La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries in Columbus, Ohio.

My 93 year old father purchased a leather La-Z-Boy recliner. Recently the leather began fading badly on the headrest. La-Z-Boy refuses to cover the chair under warranty. The chair cost nearly a $1,000 and the leather should not have faded in less than a year.

La-Z-Boy claims we did not care for the chair properly. The pamphlet we received with the chair states " Leather color stays vibrant. Each leather hide is completely immersed in dye until it penetrates all the way through to create a deep, rich color that will remain beautiful throughout the life of the leather". The same pamphlet also states "Leather is easy to care for. Ideal for any lifestyle, leather simply requires a mild dusting or wiping to keep it clean". We followed the care instructions on the pamphlet. We feel my 93 year old father was taken advantage of and the chair is inherently defective. By the way, the 1 year warranty expires soon.

La-Z-Boy (Lazy Boy, LazyBoy, lazy boy, lazyboy) does not stand behind the warranties on their overpriced chairs. Don't make the same mistake I made. Check out the BBB rating before making an expensive purchase.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 28 Yes 28
622 of 666 Lazboy reviews
Sherry Noonan

Feb 08 #1283319 New Orleans, Louisiana, United States

We have had the same exact problem with the leather "wearing off" after only a few months on our $1,800 love seat recliner and La-Z-Boy also told us that it was due to lack of proper care, and is refusing to stand behind their product!

Thomas Kirkland

Feb 03 #1280986 Flint, Michigan, United States

Same here! Our recliner has an absolutely round flaw that came through from the leather backing in a place on the seat back where the body doesn't even rest. Our recliner is 5 years old and this is the only place that isn't like new. We are 76 years of age and are not hard on our furniture. Our 28 year old hide a bed sofa is still in gently used condition. The quality of La Z Boy now stinks! Never again will we buy La Z Boy anything!

Jan 08 #1267582 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Very same thing happened to us. Except ours took closer to two years. We even had a five year additional leather protection plan we purchased and still lazy boy would do nothing. I wouldn't recommend lazy boy to anybody.

dcpiper

Apr 26, 2016 #1150086

For fading Lazy-Boy furniture contact rubnrestore.com you can buy dye from them and redo your chair etc...... I had the same problem with Lazy-Boy...they went though the motions but would not accept any responsibility. The process to re-dye is very simple and easy to do, you can even change color but it will take more coats. My recliner looks better than new and I have enough dye to do 2 more coats if necessary. rubnrestore.com are very helpful unlike Lazy-Boy...... They used to have a good reputation but are now too big for their own good and do not care about Customer care....bad for them, people like me will stop buying their products.
Good luck...

Nancy Cawley

Feb 23, 2016 #1116669 Weymouth, Massachusetts, United States

I would never again buy anything made by La-Z-Boy in leather. We purchased a reclining couch, reclining love seat and a recliner, all covered in the high end leather. We were told when we bought the set that leather will last forever and it's so easy to clean. So in cleaning each piece, with a white cloth, that white cloth then showed the leather stain coming off, as we were cleaning. It is the worst furniture we have ever had and has been very embarrassing to have it in my home. You would never know that we spent over $6,000.00 for the set. The leather, after the first year, looked like we had picked it up from the town dump. Stay Clear, because even during the warranty period, you are left high and dry. There is definitely something wrong with how their leather.

Jan 14, 2016 #1094706 Sarasota, Florida, United States

We bought two dark brown leather Lazy boy recliners. When we complained of the color coming off the headrest area after only 3 months, we were told it was because of heart medicine we were taking. Well, the worst chair belonged to the one person the in the house who is on NO medication. They replaced the back of the recliner but, took 7 weeks to get the back to us...No more Lazy Boy for us!

Sep 11, 2015 #1032545

You can add the Ocala FL to the list of poor customer relations. we paid nearly $2000 for a recliner with massage. Problems started after 45 days. Ocala would not take the chair and fix the leather. The main office was just as bad. They said it was up to Ocala. Chair now has several areas of worn looking leather. Finally I discovered that regular liquid brown dye will soak into the leather and improve looks

Karen

Jul 25, 2014 #845988 Avon, Indiana, United States

I couldn't have said it better. We have peeling on the back of one of our headrest and it wasn't even a year later. We bought our Lazyboy (two) chairs at Godby Furniture store in avon IN. The store manager was rude to us and told us it was. Lazyboy responsible then Lazyboy said it was Godby because it was less than a year. Long story short, Either one wanted to take care of it. Because of that, not only will we never shop at Godby
again but NEVER will buy LAZYBOY again!!!!!!! Not to mention anyone else I know and word of mouth and internet, Facebook and Twitter go a long way! Very bad business on there part!

2 0 Reply
Frank

Jul 16, 2014 #841639

any leather from any manufacturer that has color applied has the possibility of peeling in the head and arm area even if a leather protector is used. Everyones body is different and produces different sweat and oils and men are worse than women. If La Z Boy did anything wrong it was making the am and headrest covers optional. I see this happen all the time and every furniture manufacturer has the same warranty when this happens....not covered. This isn't to imply someone is dirty. We just can't control what comes out of our bodies.

VietVet70

Jul 26, 2014 #846144 Dublin, Ohio, United States

That is exactly what La-Z-Boy told us when we had the problem!. You sure sound like you work for La-Z-Boy. When they took my dad's $1000 they told us that "Leather is easy to care for, ideal for any lifestyle, leather simply requires a mild dusting or wiping to keep it clean". It was only a problem when the overpriced chair started falling apart. My dad has a leather chair from the 70's that still is in very good condition. He must have never sweated in that chair. Guess the cows were tougher back then. No one in my family will ever buy La-Z-Boy again. BTW, the crappy chair was thrown in the trash long ago.

2 0 Reply
John

May 04, 2014 #811869 Waterloo, Iowa, United States

Bought 2 LazyBoy recliners and a couch. Both leather. The couch is in good condition, but both recliners are faded and tearing and peeling. ! year old. Bought at Homemakers . They say its because we must take heart medication, which we don't. They don't stand behind their products and are rude on the phone. Never buy from them or Lazyboy again. Horrible service and everything is our fault. 2 companies to avoid at all costs.........

Nick

Apr 23, 2014 #808108

I want to get Lazy Boy President number to talk to him. Anyone know the number?

Frances2014

Aug 09, 2014 #854116

If you get a number, please share it with me....

Never again

Apr 23, 2014 #808103

We bought two recliners in Avon IN. At Godby furniture store. That was our first mistake. Our second was buying a Lazy Boy.
We had them less than a year and the back of the one chair is Peeling. Didn't even have it a year. The manager at Godby was no help at all so needless to say their warranty means NOTHING! He told us it was Lazy Boy problem not theirs. Lazy Boy won't do anything either. They both made us feel like we did something wrong like asking us how many hours a day we sit in chair and do we wear hair products. First of all, we have no kids and we do NOT mistreat our furniture. Just anything to get out of taking care of this.
Will never shop at Godby again along with others or buy another Lazy Boy.

MOE in reno

Mar 12, 2014 #794048 Reno, Nevada, United States

I am very disappointed in the Lazy Boy leather power recliner we purchased. It is hard to believe it is "real" leather. The area on the arm rest is peeling and discolored. I will never buy from them again. When It all started, they tried to say it was my fault. Really! They have seen the last of my family.

anonymous

Feb 22, 2014 #787574 Lansing, Michigan, United States

bought a sofa, recliner, and custom made (expensive) recliner from La z boy two years ago.... it's all junk! Color has come out of all pieces and whatever material they use to cushion the footrests is so thin it collapses into itself when lowered. My two year old furniture look like it's 30 years old!! avoid La z boy!

Bob

Feb 13, 2014 #785051

we had the same problem with our chair. We bought our lazy boy at Art Van furniture and we also purchased their leather protection, and extended warranty.. You guessed it, it went bad and it is not covered.... the burgandy is now pink color. Then a wrinkle in the leather turned into a tear. Long story short, we were to blame for both issues... we abused our chair and should have reported it sooner... Art van and lazy boy has got the last dollar from me. I love the warranty's they sell these days.

1-20 of 33 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.