Marietta, Georgia
2.4K views

The La-Z-Boy recliner was purchase from a La-Z-Boy Gallery, delivered on 1/23/13. This recliner has the power feature.

This product was not used excessively, maybe three hours a day during the week. It had been making wobbly movement and cracking sounds, when on 1/25/15, as I pushed the power feature to raise the foot rest, the foot rest went all-wonky, crooked and wouldn't lift up. I turned over the chair to find what I can only classify as a cheap piece of plastic (washer?) broken into pieces under the chair. Come to find out there are many cheap plastic pieces holding this thing together.

I am angry to have spent $1,000 for such a poor quality item. I'm even angrier because when I was in the show room back in 2013, another dissatisfied customer was there telling me not to buy the chair, that it had plastic pieces and it would break..

I was so convinced of La-z-boys' quality, I disregarded that man's comments. Buyer Beware this is what $1,000 gets you with a La-Z-Boy recliner.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lazboy Recliner.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

• Lazboy recliners

Comments

Cohan

Just want to know where to get the part

Same complaints, plastic parts and no where easy to get them. I went to the store that sells lazy boy and they claim they have no parts.

This is *** It's a 10 minute fix but no where to get the parts.

Cheap Chinese crap and NO support. kwg

My father's chair he bought in 2015 just broke. BOTH the plastic mechanism for the leg support/lift AND the "welded" bracket that the extensor attaches to at the back of the unit.

Neither "weld" shows any evidence of having penetrated the steel of the cross member to which the bracket was "welded." I am frankly surprised it lasted a WEEK let alone a few years. And yes... once I managed to re-attach the bracket securely, one of the ABS plastic pieces snapped in two. I am fully capable of replacing it, but finding the part is a nightmare, and I'm not sure it's worth the time.

If his ABS pieces are becoming brittle, it'll just be one piece after another.

My wife and I looked at a Laz-Y-Boy a while back and decided it was too expensive. THAT was a good call.

Sorry I ever got a Laz Boy power lift recliner. Have not used it for more than a week and am making the 2nd service call on it.

Rehab I was in had Golden power lift chairs.

I am so sorry I did not buy one of those. Laz Boy is an expensive piece of junk.

WE bought a sofa and love seat from lazy boy custom fabric and power. We have had nothing but issues with it.

WE hadn't had it very long when one side of the sofa power went out they came out to fix it now the other side has done the same thing plus the original side of the sofa won't stay tucked in .

I paid 3500.00 for the pieces. They are extremely rude at the store and I really don't know what to do other then have them come back out to repair.

I am sick of paying for power sofa's and loveseats from Lazy boy maybe just maybe if enough of us spoke up they would have to do something the 2 pieces I have now are 2 1/2 years old been fixed once and need to be fixed again. Please explain to me how Lazy boy charges the fees they do and then per hour charges and in a year this furniture needs it again. My husband and I live here I am disabled and this furniture is not mis treated.

I guess I need to get in line about my poor quality LazyBoy electric recliner. Has broken three times since I bought it 4 years ago.

Last two times less than 2 years apart. Same thing plastic parts that break.

Good luck. Maybe Lazyboy should be named Poorboy.

Same problem here. Called customer service, and was told $249 to have them fix.

They said I could fix myself, and they would send the parts and instructions. Finally received the parts, but no instructions. The parts were (again) plastic. Why do they not replace the plastic with metal?

As this is a re-occurring problem with these recliners, should they not be liable for this “defect”. Poor quality.

@David

Hi David, I have the same problem as well. I’m looking for the generic name for the parts and/or assembly you received.

Were there any part numbers on what was delivered?

I would like to call customer service to get parts also but not sure how to even describe that plastic assembly. Thanks, chris

Ditto. Reclining broke on one side of our simple non-powered loveseat coach after less than 2 years.

Then today - 2.5 years in - the cheap plastic lift tab broke off of that same side. So no more leg left. Labor warranty is just one year - and it wouldn't even include getting this piece of junk back to the dealer to have it repaired anyway. Not the same quality as the LazyBoy coach we had bought back in the 90s that had a simple lever for the leg lift.

This is all cheap plastic parts for >$1000. News flash --- PLASTIC PARTS GET BRITTLE AND BREAK.

Saame here

Last night our power recliner's foot rest fell to the floor with a bang. Turning unit over I see the drive mechanism is made of plastic!

I can't believe a manufacturer would made a product with plastic drive parts. Very cheap design expecting recliners to last a few short years, Don't waste you money on LAZYBOY!!!!

I have a Lazy Boy power recliner and have had the plastic part for the footrest control break twice. I had Lazy Boy replace it the first time for $97.50 and I am trying to replace it the second time.

The chair is 41/2 years old and cost me $1599.

What a rip off? Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the mechanism on the power chairs so I can get this chair repaired for less than $97.50?

Our Englander (same company as Lazyboy) recliner sofa is 15 months old and has broken 3 times, ALL due to that same cheap-*** plastic part they insist on using. Methinks it's time for a class action lawsuit over this and see how long they keep using this *** part!!

I agree. I had the plastic part for the footrest extension mechanism break less than two years after I purchased a $900.00 Laz-E-Boy recliner.

The Laz-E-Boy recliners I purchased in the 1980s and 1990s may have required annual tightening of a few wood screws, but the new ones are the kind of *** too many American companies are now willing sell while they sacrifice their formerly well-earned reputations.

Laz-E-Boy, not only NEVER AGAIN, but I can be relied on to spread the word!

@Anonymous

Hello

I too am dealing with this situation. A broken plastic part after two years. When I approached the Lazboy company in Prescott Valley, Arizona, with the part in hand, I was handed a card to call for my part...no help on what to order...and wished a good day.

This family will never purchase from them again, and my mouth is spreading the word.

Lazboy Reviews