1.4K views

The La-Z-Boy recliner was purchase from a La-Z-Boy Gallery, delivered on 1/23/13. This recliner has the power feature.

This product was not used excessively, maybe three hours a day during the week. It had been making wobbly movement and cracking sounds, when on 1/25/15, as I pushed the power feature to raise the foot rest, the foot rest went all-wonky, crooked and wouldn't lift up. I turned over the chair to find what I can only classify as a cheap piece of plastic (washer?) broken into pieces under the chair. Come to find out there are many cheap plastic pieces holding this thing together.

I am angry to have spent $1,000 for such a poor quality item. I'm even angrier because when I was in the show room back in 2013, another dissatisfied customer was there telling me not to buy the chair, that it had plastic pieces and it would break..

I was so convinced of La-z-boys' quality, I disregarded that man's comments. Buyer Beware this is what $1,000 gets you with a La-Z-Boy recliner.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lazboy Recliner.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

Same problem here. Called customer service, and was told $249 to have them fix.

They said I could fix myself, and they would send the parts and instructions. Finally received the parts, but no instructions. The parts were (again) plastic. Why do they not replace the plastic with metal?

As this is a re-occurring problem with these recliners, should they not be liable for this “defect”. Poor quality.

to David #1595730

Hi David, I have the same problem as well. I’m looking for the generic name for the parts and/or assembly you received.

Were there any part numbers on what was delivered?

I would like to call customer service to get parts also but not sure how to even describe that plastic assembly. Thanks, chris

Ditto. Reclining broke on one side of our simple non-powered loveseat coach after less than 2 years.

Then today - 2.5 years in - the cheap plastic lift tab broke off of that same side. So no more leg left. Labor warranty is just one year - and it wouldn't even include getting this piece of junk back to the dealer to have it repaired anyway. Not the same quality as the LazyBoy coach we had bought back in the 90s that had a simple lever for the leg lift.

This is all cheap plastic parts for >$1000. News flash --- PLASTIC PARTS GET BRITTLE AND BREAK.

Saame here

Last night our power recliner's foot rest fell to the floor with a bang. Turning unit over I see the drive mechanism is made of plastic!

I can't believe a manufacturer would made a product with plastic drive parts. Very cheap design expecting recliners to last a few short years, Don't waste you money on LAZYBOY!!!!

I have a Lazy Boy power recliner and have had the plastic part for the footrest control break twice. I had Lazy Boy replace it the first time for $97.50 and I am trying to replace it the second time.

The chair is 41/2 years old and cost me $1599.

What a rip off? Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the mechanism on the power chairs so I can get this chair repaired for less than $97.50?

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States #1302141

Our Englander (same company as Lazyboy) recliner sofa is 15 months old and has broken 3 times, ALL due to that same cheap-*** plastic part they insist on using. Methinks it's time for a class action lawsuit over this and see how long they keep using this *** part!!

I agree. I had the plastic part for the footrest extension mechanism break less than two years after I purchased a $900.00 Laz-E-Boy recliner.

The Laz-E-Boy recliners I purchased in the 1980s and 1990s may have required annual tightening of a few wood screws, but the new ones are the kind of *** too many American companies are now willing sell while they sacrifice their formerly well-earned reputations.

Laz-E-Boy, not only NEVER AGAIN, but I can be relied on to spread the word!

to Anonymous #1258929

Hello

I too am dealing with this situation. A broken plastic part after two years. When I approached the Lazboy company in Prescott Valley, Arizona, with the part in hand, I was handed a card to call for my part...no help on what to order...and wished a good day.

This family will never purchase from them again, and my mouth is spreading the word.